About the Jensons

My photo
We have a heart for seeing people grow closer with God, for helping those that other people see as not being worthy of it and for showing people how they can rise out of poverty.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Reunited...come on, you know you want to sing...

I (Michelle) finally made it down to Costa Rica! It has been so nice getting to be together again.  Seeing each other at the airport was a little weird for the both of us.  We both felt like we should have been SUPER excited but when we saw each other, it was more like...who are you?  Well, not really the who are you part, but it did feel weird since at that point we had been away from each other for 2/3 of our married life.  It took all of about an hour to fall right back into step with each other and has been blissful since.  


My first day here was laughable and I'm slightly embarrased to tell people 2 of the things we did that day.  First, I hadn't eaten on the plane and Jake skipped lunch since he figured I would have not eaten.  So our first stop after the airport was food.  And where did we go?  McDonald's.  Mostly because it was quick, easy, cheap and on the way to the base.  Still though, only Americans would make their first stop in a foriegn country be McDonald's, am I right?  Then Jake and I organized our room, put our clothes away, and started to get settled in.  We made a list of things we wanted to get for the room to make it more liveable.  It just so happened that, that night people were making a trip to another American destination...Walmart.  I had no idea they HAD a Walmart in Costa Rica.  It's one of my least favorite places to walk into, but when you need stuff and you don't know what else is around you do what you have to.  So yes, in my first 7 hours of arriving in Costa Rica I ate at McDonald's and shopped at Walmart, 2 things I MIGHT do every 7 months (if that) in the States.

The day after I arrived the DTS was having a "giving party".  The students were asked to pray about what they felt God wanted them to give up and who they should give it to.  They explained the significance  behind what they were giving and why they felt like they should give it to a specific person.  It happens to be one of my favorite things to do and one of my favorite YWAM things.  I was fortunate enough to be able to join the party and it was absolutely wonderful.  People were sacrificing things that meant a lot to them and encourage other students with their generosity.  Jake and I received a picture frame from Adrian who had been carrying it around for 9 months while he was travelling.  It was very touching and humbling to receive something from someone who wears shoes that are falling apart because he can't afford other shoes.  It's amazing watching God work in peoples' hearts through giving parties.




This weekend, Jake and I were fortunate enough to spend the weekend at our friends' house since they are out of town.  It is nice to be able to have our own space to talk and to hang out like we haven't been able to do for the past 5 weeks.  It's really nice to have my best friend sitting next to me again.

Please keep in your prayers our finances and our computer.  Our computer crashed 5 days before I left and it has been a huge uphill battle ever since, with HP sending things to wrong addresses and giving different sets of instructions.  I have no idea yet if it is fixed and won't know for a few more days.  If it isn't, our updates will be fewer than we'd like, but we are limited by the technology we have.  We also won't be able to skype with our families as much, which will be tough.  But we know that God is in control and we can make it through any trials that come our way.  We are so blessed by your support and blessed to be with each other once again.  Everything else seems to take 2nd chair to that.   

Love and blessings to you all,
Michelle and Jake

1 comment: